Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Working Mom Wednesday



Todays discussion over on Work, Wife, Mom...Life! for Working Mom Wednesday is: Eat out or brown bag with co-workers? Lunch room or desk? What your typical work lunch like?

I was recently pondering this whole subject with a coworker.  Often times I choose to eat at my desk.  I don't necessarily have to but there aren't many other options.  I kind of like to eat at my desk because it gives me a chance to catch up on *personal* things like email, blogging, Facebook, blah, blah, blah.  We do have a lunch room and I'm in a small office where only one of us can take a lunch at any given time so sometimes it can be lonely and other times you're thankful for the alone time.  Another reason I may stear clear of the lunch room is the avoidance of talking about....work.  Ugh, not what I like to do on MY break.

I don't get a lot of time for lunch.  And it is really not enough time to go anywhere for lunch besides the local gas station, so that is kind of a bummer.  I would really appreciate a longer lunch.  At the company I worked at before my current one - we had 45 minutes (I know some people are so lucky and have an hour!).  But 45 minutes is great for me.  I miss that.  It was just right with enough time to go somewhere but not too much time.

I am very fortunate and blessed.  Please understand that I will in no way be complaining of my lunch options because I do appreciate what is available to me.  That said - I work in an organization that has daily meals and sometimes us staff elect to get one.  Now most days the meals are ok and decent and I do appreciate to not have to pack all of the time...other days are complete risks.  I don't mind the sandwiches, soups, rice dishes and some other favorites.  I especially like the days where we have local restaurant food brought in or a homemade meal by some well-praised donor.  A few risks:  meatloaf day (aka - mystery loaf) and spaghetti (aka - heartburn on a plate).

Today I brought my lunch:  Easy Mac, fried cabbage, and an apple with peanut butter.  Yum.  (I will put my vote in for afternoon siestas though.)

- Mamma G -

2 comments:

  1. I ate at my desk today too! Leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha risky is one way of putting it :)

    ReplyDelete